Sunday, March 2, 2008

More Movie Reviews

Because my opinion matters so much.

The stuff that came next were all comedies, as as I stated earlier, I was quite tired of Crime Dramas at that point.

Clerks 2 - I consider myself a big fan of the five, albeit somewhat incorrectly but conveniently enough Jay & Silent Bob movies. Could also be called the Jersey Trilogy, but I also liked Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back so that'd be incorrect, and Pentilogy isn't even a word I believe. I haven't seen Jersey Girl so I have no way of telling how horrible that is, and as advertised, it's not really my cup of tea so it's very low on the old list. I was somewhat wary of the film given it's obviously a response to the backlash against Jersey Girl, but it turns out it was as good a sequel as I could hope to be. It's able to stand on it's own and not just a total cash in on the first movie that a lot of movies seem to be, with a few nods here and there referring to the other five movies here and there. All I can really say for the most part is I dug it- and it was even...strangely enlightening in a few degrees. It's not knowledge I'm proud to have, but I suppose it's somehow useful. Maybe. I'll get back to you on that. 9/10

Borat - This movie made me realize I talk to too many stoners, because they all loved this movie far too much than what it was worth. It's mostly just Family Guy humor- it's a long series of skits that are mostly unrelated outside the fact that Borat and his foreign friend are traveling across America. It has it's moments sure, but I really need to stop taking movie suggestions from stoners. They laugh too easily and I guess that's why they enjoy crap like this. It also loses points for far too much masculine nudity, and not even good masculine nudity. It should be disgusting to everyone across the complete spectrum of sexual preference. 6/10

Hot Fuzz - I don't say this often, but I fuggin loved this movie. A pretty much perfect parody of over the top explosive cop action movies and tries to remain as such being set in an apparently perfectly peaceful village in England. The plot keeps going at a great pace through the movie and keeps the gags coming straight through the whole time while avoiding being too excessive. There's also a solid plot twist in the middle I didn't really see coming, complete with a lampooning of it's own plot twist. This is probably the best movie I've seen in years quite honestly. The only complaint I can form would be for to have kept one of the deleted scene subplots in - explains one aspect of the story near the end so much better. 10/10

And that's the random movie review backlog kept up for now. Join me next time as I review more shit no one really cares about because my random opinion is good practice according to a bunch of books...and books never lie, do they?

No comments: