Monday, March 17, 2008

The Sequel

And as such, I begin work on the followup far before the first one is near publishable form?

Why? Cause I'm at the stage where I'm waiting around for ages waiting for feedback from my readers and such to see what's good and what's bad. I need something to in the mean time of course, so what better answer than to get cracking on yet another book.

Series are viewed by a lot of critics as cheap cash ins of the original. And they are absolutely right - the publishers love cash ins because cash ins are money. I'm not saying I want to go to writing absolute shit for money - but aiming for money is a fine goal. To make money from your writing is the goal of many, and sometimes you have to appeal to the consumer to reach your goal.

Especially when your writing fantasy, and with fantasy, series are all the more common. Why? You're likely creating an entire setting from scratch full of ideas and concepts. It's kind of a waste to throw all of those away after a single book. I have a lot of concepts in the first book that are merely hinted at that I think are cool- but through the context of the story of Escape elaborating on them has no point. So I move on to my next idea.

The next book is a direct sequel, taking place days after the first. However, it's only a sequel in the sense that the movie Mallrats is a sequel to Clerks. Mallrats takes place a day after Clerks, references the events of Clerks, but doesn't use a majority of the same characters, sans Jay & Silent Bob. My follow up is in the same vein - the events of the second book couldn't of happened without the events of the first, but the focus departs the central three characters in that book for another set of characters in another town. As of my current plans, only three characters, all minor and secondary in the first, will make reappearances in the second.

Publishers love series. It's actually a promotional to the first - because if a publisher or agent knows you have the will to be prolific, they are far more likely to represent you or publish your book knowing that you aren't just some one off writer. A lot of readers, myself included, will seek out an author's other books even if the one they read was only passable and not the greatest thing ever. Ex: Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth series. I didn't love this series, of the three major series I've read entirely(Discworld & Brust's Vlad Taltos series) it is by the far the weakest. That said, it was entertaining enough for me to read the rest of them. If I wasn't such a cheap ass, this would of meant more sales, because I know Asprin's work is at least passable, vs. taking a risk on other Author's work.

It's kind of a sad way to do things, but it's the way things are. I wanted to write far more stories with the setting anyway, so if I can manipulate the industry in the process - well, yeah, I'm going to.

No comments: